McKinsey & Company helps the world's leading national, regional, and local government institutions in addressing their most pressing managerial challenges and enabling them to better fulfil their mission to the public. McKinsey & Company is a management consulting firm that helps leading corporations and organizations make distinctive, lasting and substantial improvements in their performance. With consultants deployed from more than 100 offices in over 60 countries, McKinsey advises leading institutions on all issues on their agenda, including strategy, operations, organization, marketing, risk and technology.
The Public Sector Practice (PSP) has conducted more than 3,400 public sector client engagements in over 90 countries on all continents during the past 5 years. It has 10 different service lines, including, but not limited to public finance, defense and security, and infrastructure and cities.
The Proposal Manager will work with members of the PSP, the Legal Department, and other administrative functions on a range of public sector proposal-and contract-related activities, specifically in three phases of work:
- Business development and capture management: This phase encapsulates everything that happens before a client organization has decided internally to move ahead with a consulting engagement on a given topic, through to when the client organization has decided to move ahead with an engagement and ends when formal CFTs (Calls for Tenders) / CFPs (Calls for Proposals) / national RFPs (Request for Tenders) / Framework agreements / all EU funded tenders are issued.
- Proposal delivery: This phase starts when the CFTs (Calls for Tenders) / CFPs (Calls for Proposals) / national RFPs (Request for Tenders) / Framework agreements / all EU funded tenders are issued and ends when the engagement begins.
- Contract execution: This phase begins when we are awarded the work and lasts through the completion of the effort.
Business development and capture management
In the business-development and capture management phase, the Proposal Manager will:
- Work with members of the PSP to arrange and participate in meetings with government contracting officers, to brief them on our capabilities
- Maintain good relationships with contracting officers of existing and target clients and periodically remind them of our interest and capabilities
- Negotiate non-disclosure agreements and teaming agreements with third parties and maintain accurate records of our relationships with third parties
- Check publicly available sources and use personal network to remain abreast of upcoming opportunities
In the proposal-delivery phase, the Proposal Manager will:
- Review requests for proposal (CFTs), requests for quote (CFPs), framework agreements and all other EU tenders and EU funded tenders, including amendments
- Distribute all EU tenders / EU funded tenders documents to the appropriate colleagues
- Communicate with the EU regarding submissions (e.g., confirmation of receipt, bid/no-bid decisions)
- Prepare an initial red-line review of the CFTs, CFPs, framework agreements and all and EU funded tenders, and identify risk, legal, and compliance issues to Legal and PSP colleagues
- Work with the PSP client development team and other colleagues to identify the submission requirements
- Remind PSP client development team and other colleagues about upcoming submission deadlines and coordinate with them throughout proposal life cycle
- Prepare forms, other contracts-related materials, and price proposals required for proposals
- Work with colleagues to resolve issues and answer questions about proposals, including questions about pricing and compliance
- Submit proposals to the EU
- Request and conduct debriefs, and maintain records regarding debriefs
In the contract execution phase, the Proposal Manager will:
- Review and prepare an initial red-line review of the contracts and identify risk, legal, and compliance issues to Legal and PSP colleagues
- Negotiate subcontracts
- Work with compliance manager to identify contractual requirements and communicate them to teams
- Maintain complete, accurate, and up-to-date proposal, subcontract, and contract files on a real-time basis
- Resolve contract-related questions, issues, and problems
- Negotiate contract and subcontract modifications