McKinsey & Company is one of the world’s premiere management consulting firms with some 9,000 consultants across more than 100 locations in over 60 countries. The Firm provides a full spectrum of consulting services primarily to large corporations but also to governments, international institutions, and non-profit organizations. These organizations include 100 of the top 150 global companies, touching every major industry.
McKinsey Digital Labs (MDL) combines unparalleled business knowledge with a world-class agile engineering to offer distinctive support for our clients. Rapidly building high-quality custom products and solutions using the latest technology, while establishing and leading the development of our clients own capabilities, MDL provides a cost-effective solution to our clients that maximize value from day one.
Despite being part of a large, multinational organization, MDL works more like a startup. Our development teams are small, experiences, flexible and employ agile methodologies to quickly provide our clients with the solutions they need. We combine the latest open source technologies together with traditional Enterprise software products.
As a Software Architect at McKinsey, you would be involved in leading agile implementation and transformation projects at Fortune 500 companies. You would be a core member of the McKinsey consulting team with responsibilities that range from shaping and implementing strategic products to ensuring that McKinsey’s craft stays on the leading edge of technology.
The Software Architect has a real passion for software engineering. Well qualified candidates will have contributed to open source projects, have participated in some technical community or interest group or have written or spoken in public about their technical ideas. Despite having over 7 to 10 years of experience, a Software Architect at McKinsey will still be an active learner: tinkering with new open source libraries, using unfamiliar technologies without a lot of supervision and learning new programming languages in their spare time, etc. Lastly, the individual would also have a strong understanding of key Agile engineering practices to guide senior client IT leaders on improvement opportunities in their engineering practices.
The Software Architect would demonstrate an excellent knowledge of technology across several domains and share our excitement about:
Engineering practices such as pair programming, continuous integration, test driven development, Microservices, RESTful design and incremental design should be second nature to the Software Architect. She or he should be using testing frameworks such as RSpec, JUnit, Midje or Selenium on a daily basis and writing code without tests should be unimaginable. At the same time, a successful candidate will not only be a good learner, but a good teacher. They should inspire their peers and more junior team members to learn and expand their skill set, guiding them in the right direction.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent area
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in software development
- Strong command of English (both verbal and written)
- Experience with building consumer quality products, enabling business capability and objectives through technology
- Infrastructure knowledge including AWS, OpenStack, CloudFoundry etc
- Experience in engineering practices such as code refactoring, design patterns, design driven development, continuous integration, building highly scalable applications, application security, functional programming
- Knowledge of Agile software development process
- Familiarity with performance metric tools
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills paired with the ability to develop creative and efficient solutions
- Enjoys and gets energized by complex problem solving and ability to push the innovation on solutions
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence senior client business and IT executives on technology decisions
- Excellent leadership skills and enjoys teaching/mentoring others
- Ability to work under pressure, manage client expectations effectively and not get overwhelmed by client pressures on team
- Distinct customer focus and quality mindset
- Ability to manage own learning and contribute to functional knowledge building
- Ability to work both independently and in various team settings
Our office culture is casual, fun and social, with an emphasis on education and innovation. We have the freedom to try new ideas, experiment and are expected to be constantly learning and growing. There is also a strong emphasis on mentoring others in the group, enabling them to grow and learn.
You will have exciting career prospects within an international company that is still considered a start-up, yet was created by a trusted advisor of some of the most influential organizations in the world. You will work on challenging tasks in an innovative state-of-the-art technological environment in small teams of highly motivated colleagues with various cultural backgrounds